Re: Switch console in xterm

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, ktb wrote:
> Somewhere I heard there exists a program that will allow you to switch
> "consoles" in an xterm.  In other words it would be like switching
> consoles with ctrl+alt+F* but from within a single xterm window.  I
> poked around in the packages at the Debian site but can't find
> anything.  I don't even know what to call it.  Makes it a little hard to
> search for:)  Let me know if you've heard of such a thing.

You might be looking for a thing called screen it makes multiple
consoles(windows) in any terminal (not just xterm) you can get it form any
of the GNU mirrors eg...
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/gnu/screen/

its pretty good once you get it working properly and it'll allow you to
suspend the windows and reattach them to a different session and lots of
other handy things.

---Gareth