Re: An empassioned plea for deaf ears...

Joe Emenaker wrote:

> I eventually recovered by installing a brand-new Debian on another partition
> and replacing the hosed /lib, /bin, and /sbin directories with the ones from
> the new install. Ug.

> Why are the *system-critical* binaries dynamically linked? If you hose your
> ld.so, ld-linux, or libc, that breaks login (so there's no way to get into
> the system after a reboot), bash (so many shell scripts won't work), ls (so
> you can't use 'ls -l' to see which libs the symlinks are pointing to), cp
> and mv (so you can't try using different libs), ed (so you can't edit any
> files), and mount.

Yeah, I did this once too, but I was able to redo my dos/loadlin installation
just up until the point where I could pop up a second console.  At that point
there was a RAM filesystem active with functional copies of cp, ls, etc,
and my broken filesystem was on /install (or something) and I was able to fix
things up without having to do a full installation into a second partition...

--
Charles B. (Ben) Cranston
mailto:zben@ni.umd.edu