Re: ftp/telnet fails since upgrade

> >I have, however, recently run into a problem. Since I upgraded, I can no
> >longer ftp or telnet to my machine. ("421 Service not available, remote
> >server has closed connection", and "Connection closed by foreign host").
> >I'm not sure if this started happening when I installed potato, or when
> >I installed kernel 2.2.7. I think it was the latter though.
>
> It happened when you upgraded to Potato.
>
> Potato seperates a lot of the services that used to be in one package
> into several packages...you want to install the telnetd package to be
> able to telnet to your box.  you'll probably want to look at the
> packages under net carefully to find out what other services you're
> missing...

telnetd is installed (and there is a /usr/sbin/in.telnetd file on my
system).  I have installed nearly all packages under "Standard". (As well
as "Req"  and "Imp".)

inetd is running. (Don't know if it is configured correctly though...)

This is the output I get:

# telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost