Re: cdrom read/mounting problem

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, David Brode wrote:

 : I'm still still trying to get Debian 2.1 to recognize my cdrom so I can
 : install some apps.  I've installed Debian 2.1 and upon startup the kernal
 : loads my cdrom device driver fine & returns this message:
 :
 : mcd=0x320,9: Mitsumi status, type and version: 10 D 2 Double Speed CD ROM
 :
 : Which is cool b/c I have a Mitsumi FX001D drive.  Then I've been told (in
 : response to prior questions) to establish a symlink, so I do:
 :
 : ln -s /dev/mcd /dev/cdrom
 :
 : which returns:
 :
 : ln: /dev/cdrom: File exists

 ... which means it wasn't overwritten.  Try

  ln -fs /dev/mcd /dev/cdrom

or

  rm /dev/cdrom; ln -s /dev/mcd /dev/cdrom

Personally, I hate symlinks in /dev - I find it easier to use the actual
device name.  YMMV.

 : mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Try

  mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/mcd /cdrom

or any mountpoint you choose.

 : kernal does detect the drive upon starting.  But Step 4, below fails.
 : Briefly, step 4 is to test if I can read from the drive.  I do:
 :
 : dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/null bs=2048
 :
 : which returns:
 :
 : dd: /dev/cdrom: Operation not supported by device

Yeah, cos your /dev/cdrom symlink is still wrong.  What happens with

  dd if=/dev/mcd of=/dev/null bs=2048

?

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD