Re: Further work on LDAP passwords (working on an ldap-adduser).

On 14 Jun 1999, Rob Browning wrote:

> So my-ldap-adduser should look something like this:
>
>   1) acquire a global (across all the involved machines) lock (or just
>      presume that only one machine will ever be used to add users and
>      acquire a local lock). [1]

You don't really need this, just a simple detect/backoff algorithm will do
OK for determining the UIDs

>   2) get the next user id (how?). [1]

The only way I could see is to suck down the entire UID list and pick the
highest, it is a big search, but ldap doesn't have a mechanism for
integer value compares so it is the best I could think of.

>   5) Run a script to do whatever's needed to create the user's home
>     directory in all the right places [1].

The pam_mkhomedir module I cooked up is what I think we will ultimately
use on debian.org, the home dirs just spring into existance on the first
login. Saves resources+headaches

Jason