Re: /var permissions ???

On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 03:49:46PM -0700, maillists@sonictech.net wrote:

> It looks like you should have cp -a (same as -dpR?) to preserve the
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^ (a little ignarance goes a long way :(

> permissions for the subdirectories of /var.  Consider this:
>
> bart:~$ ls -ld /var
> drwxr-xr-x  19 root     root         1024 May 15 23:24 /var
> bart:~$ ls -ld /var/catman
> drwxr-sr-x  12 man      root         1024 Jun 13 06:53 /var/catman
> bart:~$

matching these permissions results in the same error.  chmod -R on /var/catman (to produce the same permissions from there down (up?) ) doesn't change this either.

Is there anything besides the permisions that could be the problem?
(Please forgive my initial question I have two other functioning Debian systems and should check any other permissions myself)

Regards,
Jon

--
Email: jon@osfn.org