Re: do I have to use Redhat?

Graham Seaman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using debian for a while but am still a relative
> newbie. I just bought a new pc with Advansys Initio SCSI driver.
> The supplier asked me what OS I wanted; I asked for Linux. They
> told me I would have to use RedHat, since the Initio drivers
> (which are only supplied in binary format) have only been in the
> kernel from 2.2.6 on. So I have a RedHat system - but I don't like
> it much and would prefer to have Debian. I know how to upgrade
> the kernel, given a particular distribution - what I don't know
> is how to change the distribution given a particular kernel (I'd
> also like to redo the partitioning, so I really need to start
> everything from scratch).
> I can't just run through the normal Debian installation procedure
> since the install program (logically) can't see my hard drive.
> Do I have to wait for potato, or is there some way round this?
If this is not a production system, i.e. you make a living with it, You
could go ahead and install potato. I have had no real problems with it,
when installed from scratch, as it is reasonably solid. The only other
way is to build a custom rescue disk image with the compiled kernel
image that you need on it.
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems