smail immediate delivery

smail used to work on my 'slink'-debian system to my full
satisfaction: incoming mail was delivered into my INBOX
/var/spool/mail/$USER immediately and xbiff beeped.

Now this changed (apparently after I installed a few packages from
'potato' to get licq version 0.61). Incoming mail now remains in
/var/spool/smail/input for too long. I don't now how long since it
doesn't seem to be the parameter supplied in the options ( -q10m )
which I changed temporarily to 1s without result.

In short, I don't understand what happened and I didn't succeed to
solve the problem.

Anyone can help?

Here some possibly relevant data:

SG:~>uname -a
Linux SG 2.0.34 #2 Thu Jul 9 10:57:48 EST 1998 i686 unknown
SG:~>smail -V
Smail-3.2.0.102 1998-Aug-2 #2
SG:~>grep ^FLA /etc/init.d/smail
FLAGS="-bd -q10m"

My configurations are mostly standard, just that I start the smail at
boot. (I tried the other option as well) I can mail the configuration
files anyhow if someone is ready to look at them.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel