Re: Problems with bash

Matthew Guenther wrote:

> I'm having a problem which looks to be a bug in bash and I was wondering if I
> could get a confirmation/solution to my problem.  I recently upgraded to the
> potato version of bash and now whenever I type a backspace on a blank line the
> shell crashes (logs out if on the console, quits an xterm).  There have also
> been various strange crashes when using filename completion.  If I change the
> shell to csh or tcsh and try the same things nothing happens.
>
> The system is partially potato, but I didn't get any errors about missed
> dependencies when I installed the new bash.  Anyone have any idea what's going
> on?
>
> MBG
>
> --
> "Infinite: Bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some.  Much bigger than
> that in fact, really amazingly immense, a totally stunning size, real "wow,
> that's big," time.  Infinity is just so big that, by comparison, bigness
> itself looks really titchy.  Gigantic multiplied by colossal multiplied by
> staggeringly huge is the sort of concept we're trying to get across here."
>         -Douglas Adams 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe'
>
> --

I got exactly the same problem with the potato version. My system is
already glibc2.1
just a few packages are not upgraded. I installed it with apt-get and
there were no problems about dependencies.
After downgrading to the slink version everythink works fine again.

dennis
--
# Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is a user-friendly Operating System.#
# It's just choosey about who its friends are.                         #