Re: Upgrading my bo/hamm system

manu wrote:

> Did i make a mistake ?
>
> APT simply don't do anything useful.
> I wanted it to upgrade my entire system, but only 3 pakages were
> updated.
>
> yes, i ve read the release-info.
>
> Can anyone tell me the secret ?
> Cause i really don't want to upgrade by hand...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Emmanuel, France.
If you are upgrading a hybrid system (i.e. bo/hamm) you will need to
edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list  to the locations that you want. I
will attach a copy of mine to assist you. I assume that you are wanting
to stay with a stable slink version so that is what my file is set for.
then simply run "apt-get update" then run "apt-get dist-upgrade" this
will upgrade you distribution. Remember "upgrade" will only alter those
items such as applications and the dependant files that are already
installed on your system. If there is an application that is available
from slink, that you do not already have a bo/hamm version of installed,
apt will not install it. You will need to use dselect to install new
stuff. It is my opinion that the apt program is the single most
important development in Debian in the last 2 years.
Good Luck!
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems