Re: SVGAlib and Riva TNT card?

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Frank Barknecht wrote:

>  Raymond A. Ingles hat gesagt: //  Raymond A. Ingles wrote:

> >  I sometimes run zgv and Maelstrom, but the main reason I want SVGAlib is
> > to try to run GLQuake. The Quake-HOWTO says I need SVGAlib to get there.
[...]

 As I mentioned in another message, the VESA driver with the VesaText
option seems to work fine. At least squake runs nicely and exits nicely.

> Correct me, but I don't think you can run hardware accelerated OpenGL quake
> with a Riva card under SVGAlib. The Riva GLX module only works if you are
> running X, I think. You will need SVGAlib if you want to run Quake with
> Glide on a Voodoo based card, though. Glide-Quake uses SVGAlib to manage
> access to the mouse and stuff, but soon after you typed "glquake" the
> Voodoo-Card takes control.

 I figured that out too, and despaired, but it turns out that someone
wrote a hack to emulate the SVGAlib/fxMesa calls in GLX. Thus, I should be
able to run GLQuake in X. It even supports a full-screen mode, according
to the docs. I just found out about it today, and I'm going to try it out
tonight.

 http://www-hmw.caribel.pisa.it/fxmesa/fxqkhack.html

> I have a Riva 128 here, which is not very good supported by SVGAlib, but
> enough to start GLQuake on the console with my old Voodoo I card. The new
> Riva X-Server can start quake2 with the OpenGL-Renderer, but then the
> framerate is only about 1 frame every 70 seconds. I'll never frag anyone
> this way ;(

 Are you sure you're using the hardware rendering? The difference between
the software and hardware rendering on the demos is astounding. I'm hoping
that glquake has lower requirements than quake2, so it shoudl be playable.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248) 377-7735           ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman
 she meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again."
   - TV listing for the Wizard of Oz in the Marin Independent Journal