Re: SVGAlib and Riva TNT card?

 Raymond A. Ingles hat gesagt: //  Raymond A. Ingles wrote:

>  I've got a Riva TNT card, and I'm using the X server and OpenGL lib from
> nVidia. Everything's fine in X, but SVGAlib has problems. I upgraded to
> SVGAlib 1.3.1 from unstable, but still there are issues.
>
>  I sometimes run zgv and Maelstrom, but the main reason I want SVGAlib is
> to try to run GLQuake. The Quake-HOWTO says I need SVGAlib to get there.
>
>  If I force VGA-only, everything's fine, but the resolutions and colors
> are, um, limited. If I force NV3 (Riva) mode, I get a blank screen. It
> still responds to keypresses and I can telnet in, but until I
> CNTRL-ALT-DEL the screen is hosed.
>
>  I tried VESA mode this morning and ran Maelstrom. It came up and looked
> okay, but when I quit, my monitor complained that the signal was out of
> range: 28.something hsync, 60Hz vsync. Again, no screen until a reboot.
> Switching VC's does nothing.
>
>  I have seen claims that SVGAlib will work with a TNT, but I haven't made
> it happen yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Correct me, but I don't think you can run hardware accelerated OpenGL quake
with a Riva card under SVGAlib. The Riva GLX module only works if you are
running X, I think. You will need SVGAlib if you want to run Quake with
Glide on a Voodoo based card, though. Glide-Quake uses SVGAlib to manage
access to the mouse and stuff, but soon after you typed "glquake" the
Voodoo-Card takes control.

I have a Riva 128 here, which is not very good supported by SVGAlib, but
enough to start GLQuake on the console with my old Voodoo I card. The new
Riva X-Server can start quake2 with the OpenGL-Renderer, but then the framerate
is only about 1 frame every 70 seconds. I'll never frag anyone this way ;(
--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______