Re: systemtime

On 10-Jun-99 Brian Servis wrote:
> *- On 10 Jun, Thorsten Manegold wrote about "systemtime"
>> Hi!
>> What does the file /etc/adjtime do?
>> It seems that when it is there hwclock.sh that is called at startup
>> always sets my systemtime to some funny value...
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Read the hwclock man page, there is a discussion about this file and
> its use.

Thanks. Must have overlooked that

> % man hwclock
> [....]
>
> The Adjust Function
>        The Hardware Clock is usually not very accurate.  However,
>        much of its inaccuracy is  completely  predictable  --  it
>        gains or loses the same amount of time every day.  This is
>        called systematic drift.  Hwclock's "adjust" function lets
>        you  make systematic corrections to correct the systematic
>        drift.
>
>        It works like this: Hwclock keeps  a  file,  /etc/adjtime,
>        that  keeps  some  historical information.  This is called
>        the adjtime file.
> [....]
>

> Is it off by a fixed hour everytime?  I think Debian by default sets the
> hwclock to GMT/UTC time and then sets the local time according to your
> timezone. Run tzconfig and make sure your timezone is correct. I am not
> an expert on this so this is about all the advice I can give.

No it changes all over the place (last time to the year 2006. So now I at least
know that I don't have a Y2K bug...). The Bios however is not that bad as that.
I first thought it might be the mainboard battery, but after I checked the bios
before startup for a while I came away ok.

Often I will find it set to the time/date that I last shut down my system
(almost to the second according to my messages file). Almost as if it saved the
time to restore it when started again...

> Anybody else have more concrete advice?

TIA
Thorsten Manegold

                               \\|//