Re: BE MORE SIMPLE!!!!

> I'm the guy that asked which package had the HOWTOs.  I know it seemed like
> a dumb question, but I did try searching on "HOWTO" in both dselect and on
> the Debian web site, and came up with nothing.  And I started paging through
> the 2700+ packages shown in dselect, but gave up after an hour or so of
> that.  Maybe it would help if the package was named "doc-howto" or something
> useful like that, or if it was installed as part of the "Complete Developer
> Workstation" profile I selected when installing Debian.

The howto's are in doc-linux-text (as text) or in doc-linux-html (as ...
html).  I have a fresh slink install where they were in doc-linux.
Maybe because of this transition they were hard to find?

If you want to browse through packages, a good place to start is
http://www.nl.debian.org/distrib/packages.  There you can find short
descriptions in several sections.

> I agree that it would be helpful for more questions on this list to be
> answered with instructions on how to find the information.  But I see too
> many messages on this list (and throughout the Linux community) saying
> "people are stupid" or "people are lazy" when they ask questions that have
> "obvious" answers.

People are often lazy.  A lot of things might be improved about the
debian website, but if people argue things like `it is hard to find the
installation manual on the web site', they just didn't try.  Most of
the mails on this list tend to be helpful and informative, by any
usenet or mailing list standard.

The kind of reaction invoked by a question depends mostly on the tone.
`I CAN'T FIND SHIT ON YER STINKIN WEB PAGE, NOW WHERE ARE THE HOWTOZZ?'
is usually not responded very friendly to, whereas `How do I setup sound
on my PC?' does get informative responses most of the time.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)