RE: BE MORE SIMPLE!!!!

I'm the guy that asked which package had the HOWTOs.  I know it seemed like
a dumb question, but I did try searching on "HOWTO" in both dselect and on
the Debian web site, and came up with nothing.  And I started paging through
the 2700+ packages shown in dselect, but gave up after an hour or so of
that.  Maybe it would help if the package was named "doc-howto" or something
useful like that, or if it was installed as part of the "Complete Developer
Workstation" profile I selected when installing Debian.

I agree that it would be helpful for more questions on this list to be
answered with instructions on how to find the information.  But I see too
many messages on this list (and throughout the Linux community) saying
"people are stupid" or "people are lazy" when they ask questions that have
"obvious" answers.

I think I'm a pretty smart and resourceful guy, and the whole reason I'm
using Linux is to learn about it.  If I was lazy, I would have just asked
"How do I set up sound on my machine", which is what I really wanted to
know.  But, instead, I looked for the HOWTOs on my machine, couldn't find
them, searched for them in dselect and on the Debian website, and finally
decided it would be easier to ask a simple question than to install every
Debian package hoping to magically wind up with HOWTOs installed.

I know that there are some people who emerge from the womb knowing how to
configure device drivers and write perl scripts.  But the rest of us stupid
people need some help once in a while, and find it discouraging to be called
lazy or stupid when we do ask.  We're not looking to have anything spoon-fed
to us--we just need a little guidance when we hit a brick wall.

- Kris