Re: make-dpkg: Version number stays the same

Hi,
>>"Ron" == Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe@apocalypse.org> writes:

 Ron> Whenever I compile a new kernel, I give it a new version number with
 Ron> --revision, thus:

 >> make-kpkg --revision custom.2.3 kernel_image

 Ron> ...yet the version number of the resulting .deb package stays the same as
 Ron> the first time I compiled that kernel version's source. In this example, it
 Ron> would stay at custom.2.0, which was my first kernel 2.2.9 build.

 Ron> Surely this isn't the right (documented) behavior?

        Unfortunately, this does happen to be the case. From the
 latest make-kpkg docs:
       --revision number
              Sets  the  Debian  revision number for the packages
              produced to the argument number.  This has  certain
              constraints:  It only has an effect during the con­
              figure phase (in other  words,  if  a  file  called
              stamp-configure  exists,  this option has no effect
              --  run  make-kpkg   clean   or   manually   remove
              stamp-configure  for  it to have an effect). So, if
              you re-run make-kpkg with a different revision num­
              ber, you have to reconfigure the kernel.  Secondly,
              it may contain only alphanumerics and  the  charac­
              ters  +  . (full stop, and plus) and must contain a
              digit.  NOTE: No hyphens allowed. (Look at  Chapter
              5  of  the Programmers manual for details). Option­
              ally, you may prepend the  revision  with  a  digit
              followed by a colon (:)

        So at least this is documented.

 Ron> The man pages for make-kpkg aren't much help.

        I am sorry to hear that. I gladly accept any patches or
 documentation.

        manoj
--
 Use an accordion.  Go to jail. KFOG, San Francisco