Re: make-dpkg: Version number stays the same

*- On  9 Jun, Ron Hale-Evans wrote about "make-dpkg: Version number stays the same"
> Whenever I compile a new kernel, I give it a new version number with
> --revision, thus:
>
>   # make-kpkg --revision custom.2.3 kernel_image
>
> ...yet the version number of the resulting .deb package stays the same as
> the first time I compiled that kernel version's source. In this example, it
> would stay at custom.2.0, which was my first kernel 2.2.9 build.
>
> Surely this isn't the right (documented) behavior? The man pages for
> make-kpkg aren't much help.

You need to remove the stamp-configure file in the root of the source
tree.

>From the make-kpkg man page.

        --revision number
               Sets  the  Debian  revision number for the packages
               produced to the argument number.  This has  certain
>              constraints:  It only has an effect during the con­
>              figure phase (in other  words,  if  a  file  called
>              stamp-configure  exists,  this option has no effect
>              --  run  make-kpkg   clean   or   manually   remove
>              stamp-configure  for  it to have an effect). So, if
>              you re-run make-kpkg with a different revision num­
>              ber, you have to reconfigure the kernel.  Secondly,
               it may contain only alphanumerics and  the  charac­
               ters  +  . (full stop, and plus) and must contain a
               digit.  NOTE: No hyphens allowed. (Look at  Chapter
               5  of  the Programmers manual for details). Option­
               ally, you may prepend the  revision  with  a  digit
               followed by a colon (:)

So do the following:

% make-kpkg clean
% make-kpkg --revision custom.2.3 kernel_image

--
Brian