Re: unexplained shutdown/restart: 2.2.9 kernel

First, no reason to worry!

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:17:10 -0400 (EDT), James D. Freels wrote:

>I am getting unexplained system shutdowns at arbitrary times.  Also

No shutdowns! Or have you actually observed them yourself? I mean have
you been sitting at the console watching the machine go down?

>the system clock is being changed when this unexplained shutdown /
>restart occurs.  This is best demonstrated by the following entries in
>my /var/log/messages file (Debian 2.1)
>
>Jun  9 06:55:21 fea -- MARK --

This is just a "still-alive" message from syslogd. You can safely ignore
it (or stop it by specifying "mark.none" for /var/log/messages).

>Jun  9 06:58:01 fea exiting on signal 15
>Jun  9 05:01:33 fea syslogd 1.3-3#31: restart.

This is just produced by a daily script that trims the logs. To do this
you have to stop syslogd/klogd, trim the logs, then restart both. If you
trimmed the logs while the two daemons are still running they wouldn't be
able to create/append to the logs anymore.

Again: I don't think there is a reason to be alarmed.

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\