Router help

I'm trying to install Debian on a PS/2 55 sx (386/16) and am running into
a number of problems.  First, I've compiled a 2.2.9 kernel for it, and
copied it onto the machine and run lilo, but when I try to boot, it
uncompresses the kernel and says it's booting the kernel, but nothing ever
happens.  I have 16 meg of ram, so memory should be the issue (8 on the
main motherboard and 8 more in an expansion card).  The HD appears to be
doing something, but nothing ever comes up on the screen.   I was under
the impression that the 2.2.9 kernels would run as long as you have a min
of 7 meg.  Am I wrong?  Will the 2.2.x kernels not run on 386s?

Secondly, I'm trying to install this machine onto a 40 meg partition with
a 17 meg swap (all I could afford) and am having space problems.  Can
anyone suggest a course of action of get the bare minimum packages (no
devel stuff etc) without having dselect already select them?  It's a pain
to run dselect on a 386 because it's so slow.  Any help would be
appreciated.

								Rob

ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu : Role-Player, Babylon 5 fanatic      1998-99
Aka Khyron the Backstabber : ICQ# 2325055
Homepage: www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ratirh

"Happiness comes in short spurts.  Don't be fooled."