Re: Help: EtherNet Mentor

Andy Bottman wrote:

> I am trying to set up a small ethernet network.
> I am so far failing at step 1?
> Trying to get my ethernet card recognized as a device (NE2000 Clone).
>
> I am looking for someone to guide me thru this process, I don't need my
> handheld but need a little direction.  I have been putzin around with the
> how-to's for months, answers are not as obvius as some would attest.
>
> Would someone be willing to help me out, I would gladly pass on any
> knowledge gained to another poor sap in the future.
>
> THANK YOUR GENEROUS SOULS
>   ANDY

This is the right place to start.

If your card is PNP and it can be programed (most can) CHANGE IT! Give it a fixed
address and irq.

When you loaded Linux, do you tell it you were using IP addresses and set up the
network? If not, RELOAD! It doesn't hurt (not much anyway), I've done it plenty of
times. Of course, you can add the software needed with dselect but I find it easier to
start over (at least, at this point).

Go for it!
--
Gregory Wood