my ip-up.d script doesn't work

I just freshly reinstalled ppp on one machine here. My
custom script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d does not work; it
doesn't appear to run. I tested it form the command
line with the named parameters and it worked. Here it is:

#!/bin/sh
# This script is called with the following arguments:
#    Arg  Name                          Example
#    $1   Interface name                ppp0
#    $2   The tty                       ttyS1
#    $3   The link speed                38400
#    $4   Local IP number               12.34.56.78
#    $5   Peer  IP number               12.34.56.99
#    $6   Optional ``ipparam'' value    foo

# This script routes all of RMIT via the dialup to RMIT, if
# that's where we've just called.

case "$4" in
        131.170.*)
                route add -net 131.170.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 $1
                ;;

esac

It appears to have suitable permissions. Any thoughts?

thanks,
Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).