Sound Card Problem

Hello Debian users!!

I finnaly initilize my sound card in a Slink using kernel 2.2.9. But I
had to load DOS drivers and use loalin before loading the sound modules
(Without this step, I can olny use audio CD ). I can play midis and some
wav without any problem. But some wav and all my MP3 sounds horrible in
linux. I don't have any problem with theses files in DOS/Windows.

I would like to know how to configure this soundcard for playing MP3 and
how to ionitilizes this card without booting from DOS fist.

This card, by Windows information, is an Aztech Sound Galaxy. Windows 95
use the folowing drivers for this card:

AZT 2316/R Audio Driver
I/O 0220-022F
I/O 0530-0537
I/O 0388-038B
IRQ 10
IRQ 11
DMA 01
DMA 00

MPU-401 Compatible
I/O 0330-0331
IRQ 09

Using DOS, this sound card uses mode Sound Blaster at ports 220H, IRQ
07, DMA0
In MWSS mode, the card user port 530H
MPU401 : Port 300H, IRQ2

On Linux, I use the DOS configuration for loading the modules. I'll show
/dev/sndstat data:

adilsond@skywalker:~$ cat /dev/sndstat
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux skywalker 2.2.9 #1 sáb jun 5 12:37:20 EST 1999 i586
Config options: 0
Installed drivers:
Card config:
Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster Pro (8 BIT ONLY) (3.01)
Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3
Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster
Timers:
0: System clock
Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

Running lsmod, I receive the following module information:

adilsond@skywalker:~$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
mpu401                 18448   1
adlib_card               604   1
opl3                   11208   1  [adlib_card]
sb                     33064   1
uart401                 5968   1  [sb]
sound                  57152   0  [mpu401 adlib_card opl3 sb uart401]
ppp                    19948   0  (unused)
slhc                    4328   0  [ppp]
dummy                    684   0  (unused)
lp                      5148   0  (unused)
sd_mod                 16956   0  (unused)
scsi_mod               57256   1  [sd_mod]
paride                  3340   0  (unused)
parport_pc              5556   1  (autoclean)
parport_probe           2980   0
parport                 7124   1  [lp paride parport_pc parport_probe]

Getting /proc/ioports data:

adilsond@skywalker:~$ cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0220-022f : soundblaster
02f8-02ff : serial(set)
0376-0376 : ide1
0378-037f : parport0
0388-038b : OPL3/OPL2
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(set)
0778-077a : parport0
9000-9007 : ide0
9008-900f : ide1

DMA

adilsond@skywalker:~$ cat /proc/dma
 0: SoundBlaster8
 4: cascade

And viewing /proc/interrupts

adilsond@skywalker:~$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    2034983          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      14637          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:     275357          XT-PIC  serial
  7:     444695          XT-PIC  soundblaster
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     145325          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:      29921          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

I hope that someone knows how to config this soundcard for initialize it
without DOS boot and play all MP3 files. But, if this sound card is one
of the unsupported by the kernel, I'll buy a new sound card (SB 16, 32,
any card that can be used by Windows and Linux without any problem).

Thanks for any help .

                                                      []'s

                                                               Adilson

|Adilson dos Santos Dantas - Rio de Janeiro - Brasil                  |
|e-mail: adilsond@lci.ufrj.br           adilson@dinos.darkover.org    |
|        adilsond@rio.nutecnet.com.br   adilson_dantas@geocities.com  |
|     http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7479                     |