dselect/APT problems

I am having a bit of trouble getting some packages installed from the slink distribution.

I have main and contrib on CD, and I have non-free in a separate partition on one of my hard drives (I wasn't able to find CD's for this).  This was not a problem under the last version, as I could tell dselect that I was mounting from a directory that was already mounted, and it never noticed that part was on CD and part was on the hard drive.

I am not using Apt, as according to the documentation, and in my experience, it has trouble with the CD's.  I am using dselect with an access method of multi_mount -- this seems to be the only way to get dselect to recognize both the CD's and the partition.

But when I use dselect to install, it runs through a certain portion of the packages, and then just stops, doesn't install the rest, and doesn't seem to recognize that the rest are still scheduled to be installed.

In past distributions, as I recall, this indicated that there were broken packages yet to be handled.  So I removed all broken packages from the install list, and re-ran install, but it still doesn't do anything with the rest of the packages slated for install.

I don't want to use apt-get with HTTP or FTP, as long as I have everything downloaded locally.

How can I get the rest of these packages installed?

Steve Martin.