Re: X windows manager?

Thanks for your help.  I am now using fvwm as the windows manager.  I do
have some more questions.

1. Regarding the screen blink.  It blinks every 2-3 secs (sometimes
longer), forever, unless I reboot.  I am not sure if it's normally, since
I never have the same problem on other machines.  I do notice that
there's an error message starting X (host unknown) as well as closing X
(don't know what it really mean).

2. Which file should I edit to let fvwm start xclock and xearth etc. for
me when X starts?  Also, is there a way to add a scrollbar and to reverse
the background color of the xterminal by default, so that I don't have to
do it manually each time I open an xterminal?

Thanks!

Chip

Andrei Ivanov wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I finally get an X server to run, but still seem to have a lot to work
> > out.  It seems that I am assigned a windows manager (or none at all) that
> > is not so desirable.  The xterminal in X has no title bar, so the window
> > cannot be dragged and moved.  I tried to copy .xinitrc under the home
> > directory, and tried to assign fvwm95 as the windows manager, but it
> > didn't seem to work.  Would appreciate any help.
>
> Well, depending upon what system you are using: Here is how I have it in
> hamm.
> There is a file called window-managers , it's in /etc/X11
> Install the desired wm and enter a path to it into that file.
>
> That ought to take care of that.
>

> > Also, I am using an external monitor for a notebook.  Every time I quit
> > from X windows, the monitor will blink every few seconds.  Did I do
> > anything wrong to cause this?
>
> No, it should be ok. Thats X shutting down.
>

> > Lastly, I seem to have a virtual desktop in X.  Is there a way to change
> > the setting so that I can fit everything within the full screen?  Thanks
> > in advance!
>
> You can turn the virtual desktop off in a number of ways:
> 1. Run xf86config and turn it off there. When you get to modes section,
> just change the order to what you want, and answer no to the question
> whether you want virtual desktop or not.
> 2. Edit XF86Config directly.
> Scroll down to Display subsections and comment out the Virtual Dektop
> lines.
>
> Andrei

>  Andrei S. Ivanov
>  Scorpio@hushmail.com