X windows manager?

Hi,

I finally get an X server to run, but still seem to have a lot to work
out.  It seems that I am assigned a windows manager (or none at all) that
is not so desirable.  The xterminal in X has no title bar, so the window
cannot be dragged and moved.  I tried to copy .xinitrc under the home
directory, and tried to assign fvwm95 as the windows manager, but it
didn't seem to work.  Would appreciate any help.

Also, I am using an external monitor for a notebook.  Every time I quit
from X windows, the monitor will blink every few seconds.  Did I do
anything wrong to cause this?

Lastly, I seem to have a virtual desktop in X.  Is there a way to change
the setting so that I can fit everything within the full screen?  Thanks
in advance!

Best wishes,
Chip