Kernel with APM support.

I have Debian running on my SONY VAIO and it works like a dream. Only thing I am
missing is the APM support. I downloaded the kernel source package, etc. and I am
getting ready to compile the kernel with APM support.

I would like to keep my system "as it" but with APM support. Since I have never
compiled the kernel before, I have no idea what to select and what to leave out when
runing make config. Is there a way I can use the default settings of the Debian
package and just add APM support so I end up with the exact same kernel, but with APM
support?