Re: Kernel too big

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 09:31:06AM -0500, Camilo Alejandro Arboleda wrote:

> When I compile the kernel with the command 'make bzImage' the image
> generated has a size of about 800.000 bytes, and when I try to install the
> image using 'liloconfig' I get the error 'kernel too big', but I cannot
> remove more drivers from the kernel without lose features that I really
> need.

Use modules. If you're using `make menuconfig',
type M at the more esoteric drivers. Make sure
you have enough features to get booted up and
reading your root partition - don't make things
like your default HD interface (IDE, SCSI) into
modules - but do so for most other things, like
PPP and parallel port interfaces and so on.

> What is the maximum size of the kernel? Is possible to increase this size?

No idea, and I doubt it. Isn't it a LILO problem?
--
alisdair mcdiarmid
[everything is plastic and we're all going to die]