Basic install problems / alien problems

Hi, I am new to Debian (having migrate from RH).  Since I am at work, I
do not have all the details of my problem with me and will  have to
re-post this question if it is not specific enough.

Essentially, I have attempted to install Slink on a Pentium machine
several times (CD set) using pretty basic defaults and cannot finish the
install successfully.  For example, I recently tried using the dial-up
workstation standard install and went through the motions in deselect
(i.e. access, update, (not select), install, configure, etc.)  Most of
the packages seem to install properly but a few base packages, 6 or 8,
just refused to install (configure ?) properly.

exim and anacron (i think) are the only ones i can remember by memory.

I'm pretty sure dselect says that some or all are required packages.
Sorry for the lack of info, but is it common that a stardard
installation have problems such as this (like i didn't select anything
when in dselect).  One would think this operation should run smoothly
(and that if i was using dselect without paying attention, then there
could be problems).

Would this affect the functioning of alien?  It seemed to have install
fine but isn't fully functioning.  I tried to convert some rpms  (RH 6.0
CD) but it got as far as reading them or unpacking them, but not
converting them or installing them -- each time could find a file (I
assume that within the RPM script it points to a file but i'm not sure
where).

If someone could help me out, that would be appreciated -- if you need
me to cut and paste the actual error messages, etc.  i can do this.

thanks

adam
tao.ca
IWW x.346625