Re: Weird su problems

On 03-Jun-99 Chris wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 05:14:22AM -0000, Pollywog wrote:
>>
>> On 03-Jun-99 Chris wrote:
>> > It looks like some element relating to su has been broken.  I apologize
>> > for
>>
>> Yes, it is shellutils package, and to fix it, just make /bin/su suid root.
>>
> Yep, that did the trick.  Thanks!  Now, my next question regards things that
> change permissions while you're not looking.  For instance, I changed the
> groups on my /etc/ppp directory yesterday (mentioned in my last post), and
> today it was changed back to root:root.  Is this something that might be a
> cron job?  I must admit ignorance to cron syntax...  What should I look for?
>
> Thanks again,

Perhaps you updated your system?  Whenever you update your system (upgrading
ppp for instance) the directory permissions will revert to their defaults.
You can make a script to change things back each time you update software.  I
did that just two days ago because I prefer that certain executables be owned
root.wheel and be non-executable by 'others'

--
Andrew