Weird su problems

Well, living on the blleding edge seems to have finally bitten me in the ass
;-)  I normally do an apt-get update;apt-get upgrade every week or so unless
I hear about major fixes.  I did such an upgrade earlier today, upgrading
nearly everything that could be upgraded.  The only immediate abnormality
was that X seemed to freeze (I could move the mouse, but clicking did
nothing) soon after I upgraded some Gnome packages.

When I got back to my machine later, I found that ppp had reset some
permissions on the ppp directory (it took dip off of the group, for some
reason).  I went to su to root, and I got a bad password error.  Of course,
I totally panicked.  I quit X and restarted it, but the problem remained.
As a desperate measure, I switched to another console and tried to log in as
root and... it worked.

It looks like some element relating to su has been broken.  I apologize for
not knowing which package contains su, but I have the latest version for
Potato (x86) as of Wednesday (yesterday).  I've just discovered that
su fails to work on the console, too.  Should I downgrade some packages (and
if so, how is that done?) or wait until the next version of package x(y,z)
to come out?  Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

-Chris