GNOME installation screw-up

I downloaded the GNOME 1.0 distribution with apt, installed, put the

"exec gnome-session"

line in my .xsession file, and quit X to try out what I had done.  Oops.

I could have done the smart thing and logged out as Root before I put
any GNOME startup stuff in a .xsession, but NOOO.  I was too eager for
that.  Now, I can't get out of xdm at all if I try to log in as Root;  if
I try to log in with one of the user accounts, Enlightenment breaks --
possibly because they had existing .enlightenment directories from the
0.14 that came with Slink.

I wouldn't have a problem, except that I can't figure out how to get out
of XDM and into another virtual console so that I could fix stuff (well,
maybe I'd still have a problem, but I wouldn't be completely stuck in XDM
where I can't do anything)

So, any ideas about

a) why X won't start as root (the account with  "exec gnome-session" in
the .xsession file)

b) why Enlightenment isn't working on user accounts with no GNOME startup
instructions

or

c) how to get out of XDM so that I can start fixing the above two problems

would be very helpful.

matthew myers davis
mmd@nwe.ufl.edu