Re: ipautofw not working

	Subject: Re: ipautofw not working
	Date: Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 11:08:03AM -0700

Quoting George Bonser(grep@shorelink.com):
> On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Wayne Topa wrote:
>
> > > To make it clear, I can use ipfwadm ok, but I can't use ipautofw.
> > >
> > > Any clue?
> > >

> > Clue #1 is to look for the information on your system 'first'!
> >
> > "From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes"
> >    As of 2.1.102, the IP firewalling code has been replaced; ipfwadm
> > will no longer work.  You need to obtain "ipchains," available from
> > http://www.rustcorp.com/linux/ipchains/ , and use that instead of
> > ipfwadm.
> >
> >    To use masq forwarding you will need to obtain "ipmasqadm,"
> > available from http://juanjox.linuxhq.com/ .
> >

> Except that the person is not talking about having problems masquerading,
> the problem seems to be port forwarding.

opps, forgot another reference

IP: ipportfw masquerade support
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW
  Port Forwarding is an addition to IP Masquerading which allows some
  forwarding of packets from outside to inside a firewall on given
  ports. This could be useful if, for example, you want to run a web
  server behind the firewall or masquerading host and that web server
  should be accessible from the outside world. An external client
  sends a request to port 80 of the firewall, the firewall forwards
  this request to the web server, the web server handles the request
  and the results are sent through the firewall to the original
  client. The client thinks that the firewall machine itself is
  running the web server. This can also be used for load balancing if
  you have a farm of identical web servers behind the firewall.

  Information about this feature is available from
  http://www.monmouth.demon.co.uk/ipsubs/portforwarding.html (to
  browse the WWW, you need to have access to a machine on the Internet
  that has a program like lynx or netscape). For general info, please
  see ftp://ftp.compsoc.net/users/steve/ipportfw/linux21/

  You will need the user space program "ipmasqadm" which can be
  downloaded from http://juanjox.linuxhq.com/

  The portfw code is still under development and so is currently
  marked EXPERIMENTAL. If you want to try it, say Y.

  This code is also available as a module ( = code which can be
  inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).
  The module will be called ip_masq_portfw.o. If you want to compile
  it as a module, say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt.

--
A Law of Computer Programming:
  Make it possible for programmers to write in English and you