Debian menus I am lost

I do not understand the debian menu system. Based on what I read in  the
manual  /usr/doc/menu/html/ch4.html  and other sources I took the
following  steps as a user (not as root)
	1. Created ~/.menu    directory
	2. in ~/.menu  created the following file

?package(local.staroffice):   needs="x11" section=Apps/Misc
title="Staroffice" command=/home/tjm1/Office50/bin/soffice"

	3. This file was saved as ~/menu/staroffice.  I also tried saving as
local.staroffice.  The permissions on the file are 664

	4. ran update-menus

	5. Looked for a staroffice entry in the menu.  It was not there.
	6.  reran update-menus as root ( just in case) no effect
	7   restarted X no effect
	8. rebooted no effect

The manual seems  to be very good at explaining how to work with the
menu system if you are a programmer or a debian package maintainer.  It
is really not very good at explaining how to use and configure menus to
the end user or system admin.  There are many things that may appear
intuitive to a developer, who already has a high degree of familiarity,
which are in fact not.

If anyone can help me to understand  the debian menu system I will be
very appreciative.  And once I understand the subject I will write
something to be included in the manual.  Thank you