Re: Further on the DSELECT saga.....

Andrew J Fortune wrote:

> Yesterday, I reported that I was unable to install packages using dselect. I
> discovered this morning that I had done something really silly.....I have
> removed the CD from the drive and put it away........D'OHHHHHHHH .....
>
> However....it still isn't working correctly, and so I am describing the
> CURRENT problem as follows (in step form) :

> =======
>
> (1) Firstly, I keyed in 'mount' with no parameters. As you can see, the
> cdrom is not recorded as being mounted at this stage :
>
> "/dev/hdb2 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> /dev/hda1 on /mnt/cdrive type msdos (rw)
> /dev/hdb1 on /mnt/ddrive type msdos (rw)"
>
> (2) I then went into dselect, and attempted to install some packages, and I
> got the following message .... straight away, that is, with no other
> messages at all :
>
> "Installation OK.  Hit RETURN."
>
> (In other words, it did nothing.....I might add that I had first attempted
> to change some selections by going into option 2 - the select option -
> before installing.

You may have gotten "out-of-sync" and had not actually selected the packages you
thought you had - it happened to me :-)

> (3) So then I attempted to mount the cdrom, and the following was the

> command and the result :
>
> # mount -tiso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
> "mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only"
>
> So far, so good (I think....).
>
> (4) Then, once again, I keyed in mount with no parameters, and got the
> following :
>
> "/dev/hdb2 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> /dev/hda1 on /mnt/cdrive type msdos (rw)
> /dev/hdb1 on /mnt/ddrive type msdos (rw)
> /dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
> "
>
> (5) I also went to the directory /mnt/cdrom, and did a "dir" - it read the
> contents of the CD, no problems. So in other words, it could still read off
> the device.
>
> (6) Finally, I went back in to dselect, and attempted once again to install
> some packages, and got the following message :
>
> "mount: /dev/hdc already mounted or /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt busy
> mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdc is mounted on /mnt/cdrom

It looks like you left dselect and then tried to start it once again, but the cd was
already mounted.  I've found that by going through all the numbered steps every time
I use dselect, it rarely malfunctions. Try umounting the cd and try again.

Good Luck
John Carline