Further on the DSELECT saga.....

Yesterday, I reported that I was unable to install packages using dselect. I
discovered this morning that I had done something really silly.....I have
removed the CD from the drive and put it away........D'OHHHHHHHH .....

However....it still isn't working correctly, and so I am describing the
CURRENT problem as follows (in step form) :

=======

(1) Firstly, I keyed in 'mount' with no parameters. As you can see, the
cdrom is not recorded as being mounted at this stage :

"/dev/hdb2 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/cdrive type msdos (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /mnt/ddrive type msdos (rw)"

(2) I then went into dselect, and attempted to install some packages, and I
got the following message .... straight away, that is, with no other
messages at all :

"Installation OK.  Hit RETURN."

(In other words, it did nothing.....I might add that I had first attempted
to change some selections by going into option 2 - the select option -
before installing)

(3) So then I attempted to mount the cdrom, and the following was the
command and the result :

# mount -tiso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
"mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only"

So far, so good (I think....).

(4) Then, once again, I keyed in mount with no parameters, and got the
following :

"/dev/hdb2 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/cdrive type msdos (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /mnt/ddrive type msdos (rw)
/dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
"

(5) I also went to the directory /mnt/cdrom, and did a "dir" - it read the
contents of the CD, no problems. So in other words, it could still read off
the device.

(6) Finally, I went back in to dselect, and attempted once again to install
some packages, and got the following message :

"mount: /dev/hdc already mounted or /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdc is mounted on /mnt/cdrom

installation script returned error exit status 1.
Press RETURN to continue.
"

=======

As always, any help appreciated.....