RE: why make partitions?

I used to wonder the samething. When I started using Linux, I always wonder
why partition a disk to use the same OS on all the partitions. Then I made a
big boo boo and hosed system and re-installed all 500MB of downloads again,
that took over a week to get!! So, I decided to try the partition and I even
dedicated partition to only hold .debs and .tars and all downloaded stuff
like that. So then nexted time I hosed my system, I used the floppies to
install the /root system and bam. /usr was the and all the link where fixed
and I had my same set up in 20 minutes that took weeks to build.

I know this didn't answer the technical reason, but it sure is great if your
prone to experimention and complete system hosing.

Rod....