Re: c++ docs

> On Mon, 31 May 1999, Brad wrote:
>
> > Where are the docs for the c++ libraries?
>
> > More specifically, i have a copy of "C++ How To Program" second edition
> > here. It claims that #include <sstream> will allow strings to be
> > manipulated as streams. "sstream: No such file or directory" g++ tells me.

The next major release of g++ will probably have it.  g++ currently has
the older <strstream>, which descibes stream classes that operate on
char*, not string.  They can probably be used for mostly the same
thing.  The iostream library (including strstreams) is documented in
the iostream info file, that comes with libstdc++2.9-dev.  Just type
`info iostream'.

In the future <strstream> (which is not in the ANSI standard) will be
replaced by <sstream> (which is in the ANSI standard), though I guess
<strstream> will stay around for some time.

> > "Ok then, i'll just check the docs" i think to myself. Tried the manpages.
> > Tried info. Tried looking in /usr/doc. i couldn't even find anything about
> > the c++ string class (which i know i have), much less using them as

As someone else already pointed out, there is the stl-manual package,
which contains the information from Silicon Graphics about the STL (g++
currently uses the SGI implementation).

> > streams! "Hmmm... did i miss a -doc somewhere?". Fired up dselect, and
> > couldn't find any c++ docs at all, installed or uninstalled...
> >
> > So, does anyone know where the docs are? Or at least how to use something
> > like what the book is talking about?
>

> Unfortunately, there is very little distributed with egcs nor in
> the way of actual documentation for either the compiler or the
> libraries.

In the egcs-docs package there is extensive information about the
compiler in info format.  The description of the C++ libraries could be
better, but the iostream library is descibed to some degree in the
iostream info file.  The C library is not part of egcs, but it is well
documented in info format, and available in the glibcdoc package.  It
is actually readable (not just as a reference) and I recommend it to
anyone who is programming in unix in C or C++.  I expect information
about the stl to pop up when g++ starts using the stl implementation
from the egcs team.  For now g++ uses the SGI stl and you can use its
documentation.

[... skip interesting references ...]

HTH,
Eric Meijer