Floppy Mounting Problems

I have a stack of floppies that i'm sorting through, and i need to know what's
on them. Some of them, however, aren't formatted. I have know way to know
which ones aren't until i mount them. Every time i try to mount an unformatted
floppy, mount segfaults. Afterwards, if i try to mount another floppy it
says "mount: /dev/fd0 already mounted or /floppy busy". I can mount a
floppy to other directories, so it must be /floppy that's busy, even
though /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts both show it as not mounted. Further,
i can't remove the floppy module from the kernel.

Eventually i run out of directories to mount to and have to reboot.
This is unacceptable. Any ideas?

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pobox.com

Don't you try to out-weird me! I get stranger things
than you free with my breakfast cereal!
--Zaphod Beeblebrox