Re: PPP

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Marina Gandelsman wrote:

> (please Cc: all replies)

> I've installed Debian on a previously slackware machine. Most
> things seems to be working fine but pppd stubbornly refuses to
> do anything useful. pon dials up and logs in successfully but it
> won't start up ppp (nothing shows up in route or ifconfig). From
> reading some of the archived emails it might possibly be
> /etc/init.d/network, there's no mention of ppp there, just
> ethernet (I answered that I have ethernet when setting the
> machine up, but it uses both). What should be in that file? Any
> other suggestions?  (running 2.2.9 kernel, BTW)

Marina

You seem to have your ISP login name and password set.  Do you
have ppp enabled in your kernel?  Nothing works until you have ppp
enabled in the kernel.

You have to know what command your ISP requires to start a ppp
connection.  I only recall that my ISP requires 'p' to start a ppp
connection, in response to prompt "Options:"  Until I got that
line in my /etc/chatscrips/provider right, I never got ppp running
either. I have inserted my (appropriately expurgated)
/etc/chatscript/providers file at the end of this message.

If you can log into your ISP with a terminal emulator such as
Kermit or Minicom, you can see what your ISP says to you, and
perhaps determine what you have to send to start a ppp connection.

If you login.defs is set up like mine, you might try the command

   $pon; tail -f ppp.log

to see some of what is happening with your ppp session.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
		 (Hope this qualifies.)

EXPURGATED /etc/chatscript/provider
ABORT        BUSY
ABORT        "NO CARRIER"
ABORT        VOICE
ABORT        "NO DIALTONE"
ECHO         OFF
""           ATDT2930900
CONNECT      ''
ogin         <YourISP_loginName>
word         \q<YourISP_password>
ption:       p

The \q prevents the ISP_Password from appearing in log files.