Re: why is xdm ignoring the keyboard?

>> "BB" == Bob Billson <bob@goleader.com> writes:

BB> I'm puzzling over an odd problem.  I can run X just fine when I
BB> log in as a normal user and run startx.  However, if I let Debian
BB> (potato) boot so xdm is started when the system boots, I can't log
BB> in at all.  In fact, xdm seems totally hosed.  It won't respond to
BB> any keyboard input.  The system, itself, still appears to be
BB> functioning.  cron still is running its jobs.  The mouse still
BB> moves cursor around.

A similar case has been discussed on the list some time ago. Something
like that happens when multiple programms fight about a virtual
console. These may be getty, xdm, wdm, gdm or login.app.

If you have more than one of the above installed (without getty), then
disable all but one for now.

Also check in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers that you don't try to handle a vt
that is used by getty (in /etc/inittab).

Ciao,
	Martin