Re: How to reset a printer from debian?

Quoting Stephan Engelke (engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de):
> On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 04:43:57PM +0200, Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:
> >
> > I have a small problem with my server. It serves as a netware printer (with
> > mars nwe and HP-DJ670C). Sometimes it happens, that one of users sends
> > a print job in the wrong format (e.g. binary data for HP-LJ).
>
> wouldn't it be more practical to write a filter which sends files
> in unwanted formats directly to the big bit bucket rather than to the
> printer?

You're absolutely right, of course, but this does not detract
in the least from what Wojciech is trying to provide. For example,
I have an 895 printer and while testing the drivers/filters,
something must have dropped a byte two inches into an Escher
picture. While I sorted the mess out as root, I had to whip the
stack of fast-disappearing clean paper out of the printer and
put in a stack of used stuff for it to vomit over.

I still don't know the canonical method to stop the current
printer job dead and reset the printer, and I do need to let
non-root users do this.

Cheers,