Re: Apache + Extras, need install advice

current@plains.NoDak.edu wrote:

> I wanna set up a web server w/ Debian, and I wanted to get some quick
> advice about that packages to grab and install.
>
> Basically, I want Apache, with SSL, PHP, and MySQL support.  Also, I
> would like to have MySQL (obviously), and SSH (for secure access).
>
> Not really much else I want installed right now, just that, a secure,
> full featured web server.
>
> Can anyone point me to the exact packages?  I noticed browsing the ftp
> directories that most of the stuff is there, but I notice some versions
> of apache have like one feature but not the others...  And I would like
> to do it out of recent binaries for x86 rather than build it from source
> (just to save time).
>
> And, in addition to a list of the specific packages I would want to
> grab, any advice as to the specific places to grab them (which mirror
> for fast access in mid-west USA, and which directories if you happen to
> know), and which specific order to install them...
>
> I'm still digging, it shouldn't be all that hard, but I figure someone
> has probably done exactly this recently and might have a bit of advice.

If you are using Debian, all you need to do is use apt to install the
packages from the Debian website. APT will handle all the dependencies.
For secure server install apachessl. I would advise staying withe the
Slink stable tree for now as ApacheSSL is buggy in Potato.
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems