Newbie Story (was) Re: Boot probblem with xdm

Yep, another case of not reading far enough. I was still not proficient at
the install so I started over again before I found this out which was just
as well because my current installation is much cleaner. I discovered how
to download with my 56K windmodem to harddisk and install using dselect so
speeding it up keeps me from getting so lost now in the packs. I took a
14.4K modem out of my 386 to use temporarily on this box, which by the way
works fine with my winmodem installed. Each OS does not see the others modem.
COMMENTS: I used DragonLinux (UMDOS)for a couple of months to get the feel
for Linux and after looking around and trying a couple of flavors settled
on Debian because of the GNU as well as the ease of accessing the packages
which in hindsight was a great decision. I have been on vacation so the
normal person doing this some on the weekend and evening could probably do
this in a week and a few hours over a couple of weekends using the download
method but I started last Friday night and this morning have a pretty
stable Debian installation with X-windows. THis includes learning the
system and  the lingo at the same time. I prefer to run as a server but
need to learn the workstation aspect for some future jobs. I imagine with
the CD it would be a pretty painless process. A week ago if you told me
that I would be whacking space off my windows partition to make more room
for Linux I wouldnt have believed it. I dont guess two calls to the mail
list for install help was too bad so thanks all for the help.

New GNU/Penguinpowered convertee
Robert