Re: jaz disk

On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 08:05:29PM -0500, Aaron Solochek wrote
> I have a p133 with limited harddrive space.  100~200 meg, I think its
> like a 140 actually.  Anyways I have an old internal jaz disk, and
> I want to install the os on that.  The scsi card I have (adaptec 1505)
> doesn't have bios so booting off of it is not an option.  What I was
> hoping to do is boot off of the harddrive and then having that mount the
> rest of the system off this jax disk.  How would I go about doing this?

The kernel image has to be accessible at boot time.  If you want to use LILO
you can, but the boot kernel has to be somewhere on your IDE disk; you could
make /dev/hda1 the /boot partition (5Mb should be sufficient), install LILO
on either the MBR or the boot record for /dev/hda1 and use /dev/sda for
everything else, or you could use loadlin to boot from inside DOS or Windows
using a kernel on your hard drive, or you could use a boot floppy.

The jaz disk will work, but I wouldn't recommend it; they aren't designed to
be continuously mounted, and you may end up wearing the media out - I ran a
test system for about 3 weeks (24x7) on a 2Gb Jaz disk, and the Jaz
cartridge was not impressed.  Live and learn...

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au