xcdroast and HP7200i

>I have installed xcdroast 0.96e to try out my HP7200i.  >According to
>the
>supported cdwriters the HP7200 (which is not a >SCSI-drive) is
>supported,
>but I cannot select it during the setup.  The >documentation says
about
>the
>hardware requirements:

>* SCSI-Controller running with Linux. (Not necessary >with
>       ATAPI-Writers)

>But when I come to the point where the HP7200 must be >selected as
>cdwriter
>I cannot do it.  Here the documentation says:
>
>     * CD-Setup:
>       CD-Writer Device: This is your CD-Writer. You >can here only
>choose
>       from your SCSI-Devices type 4 and 5 (Worm and >CD-Rom). Some
>       CD-Writer identify themselves as CD-Roms, but >please don't set
>       real CD-Rom as write-device.
>
>How am I then supposed to select the HP7200 as >CD-Writer?  I do not
>have
>any SCSI-devices.
CD writer programs under linux actually only work with SCSI drive
protocol.  But they can use IDE drives via emulation.  You must
re-build your kernel to support scsi emulation.  Also build in generic
scsi support, scsi cd rom support, and scsi disk support (These
requirements were outlined in the xcdroast manual on their web site).
You must also DESELECT ide cdrom support in your kernel, you will now
access your cdr drive as a scsi drive.  You don't need a low level scsi
driver (or card).  What is happening is that atapi devices are actually
using a scsi protocol, over the ide cables.  I have a memorex 1622 cdwr
drive, and it shows up fine under xcdroast....after I rebuilt the
kernel as above.  You may select these options as modules and then
configure the modules into the running kernel....try 'apropos module'
to find the info on this.  Also look for 'make-kpkg' for info on using
the debian kernel tool for building your kernel.
===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....