Re: Slink upgrade broke printer configuration [Epson Stylus Color]

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Mike O'Donnell wrote:

> The problem was the filter /etc/magicfilterstylus_color_720dpi-filter,
> from magicfilter version 1.2-28. It's
> good for Ghostscript version 3.33, and possibly 4.03, but not 5.50
> which I am running. I replaced the
> PostScript section of the filter by
>
>  0      %!              filter  /usr/bin/gs @stc.upp
> -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" - 3>&1 1>&2 -c quit
>  0      \004%!          filter  /usr/bin/gs @stc.upp
> -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" - 3>&1 1>&2 -c quit
> # PDF
>  0      %PDF            fpipe   /usr/bin/gs @stc.upp
> -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" $FILE 3>&1 1>&2 -c quit
>
> using options that I found in a sample gs command at
> http://eunuchs.org/epson/index.html..
>
> With this change, the filter prints PostScript (formerly, it produced
> infinite page ejects). There is still a flaw in
> the printing of text by the final default entry: there is no page
> eject at the end. It's clear how to write a script
> using cat to take care of this, but there should be a more elegant
> solution.

i had this same problem using an Epson Stylus Color 600 with the newest
gs/magicfilter: infinite formfeeds when trying to print postscript files.

After looking through quite a few docs and printing a few test pages, i
determined that the magic filter should be using the stc600pl.upp and
stc600p.upp profiles (located in /usr/lib/ghostscript/5.10). For different
printers, you'd obviously use different profiles. Besides stc.upp, you may
want to try stcany.upp and stc_h.upp with your 400. Also, note that
stc.upp is a 360dpi profile, so putting it in stylus_color_720dpi-filter
is a little misleading ;)

So, i copied stylus_color_360dpi-filter and stylus_color_720dpi-filter to
stylus_color600_360dpi-filter and stylus_color600_720dpi-filter,
respectively. Then i changed the lines like this:

 --stylus_color600_360dpi-filter--
# PostScript
0       %!              filter  /usr/bin/gs  @stc600pl.upp -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- - -c quit
0       \004%!          filter  /usr/bin/gs  @stc600pl.upp -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- - -c quit

# PDF
0       %PDF            fpipe   /usr/bin/gs  @stc600pl.upp -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- $FILE -c quit

--stylus_color600_720dpi-filter--
# PostScript
0       %!              filter  /usr/bin/gs  @stc600p.upp -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- - -c quit
0       \004%!          filter  /usr/bin/gs  @stc600p.upp -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- - -c quit

# PDF
0       %PDF            fpipe   /usr/bin/gs  @stc600p.upp -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- $FILE -c quit

i had considered filing a bug report, but when i checked the database it
looked like someone was already reporting it...