Using dselect -- connection timeout

I'm new to Debian, and I'm finding dselect to be
troublesome.
I first tried the multi-CD access method, but got
confused, so before going too far I decided to use
apt to download from the Internet. I used the default
site, http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian, but I keep getting
connection timeouts.

I tried the Australian ftp site,
ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian
stable
main
But, it gives an error message. The site has Packages
and Packages.gz. but the error message is something about
"Packages.gz is not a plain text file".

Anyway, the default site did download a heap of deb files,
to /var/cache/apt/archives/
Is it possible for me to install just those files, to save having
to download them all again (it took hours)?
Then can I run dselect again and take off from that there,
without having to download the same stuff repeatedly?

Note I'm using the workstation profile, so don't have to
go into that complicated looking Select section!

Regards,
Barry Kauler