Re: how to make modem silent?

"David B.Teague" wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Karen Hu wrote:
>
> > Is there a way will make "pon" dial my modem silently?
> > I'm still using Hamm (version 2.0).

<snip>

> Karen,

<snip>

> Recently, on this list, this question was asked and answered.  I
> have added a little to the speaker volume answer. This mailing
> list is archived at http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/ Please
> read it for it is a gold-mine! There is even a search engine, so
> you don't have to read a 1000 messages to find an answer.

Ditto. It really is a good source of info. However, be aware that the
search engine is at the bottom of the page rather than the more
commonly-used (and intuitive?) top of the page. It was weeks of being a
newbie before I scrolled down far enough to find the search engine. I
had been using the main Debian site search engine (which apparently
doesn't search the mail archives, so I was, to say the least, less than
impressed with the search capabilities of the mail archives. Once I
found the archive search engine, I started finding answers, It has
really helped a lot.