Re: how to make modem silent?

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Karen Hu wrote:

> Is there a way will make "pon" dial my modem silently?
> I'm still using Hamm (version 2.0).
>
> (Note: I'm not on debian-user@, so plz include this address in your
> msg).

Karen,

I am pleased try to help you.

You will find that the folk on this list are more than willing to
help you. This help, in addition to the technological excellence
are reasons why I am an adherent to Debian Distribution.

Recently, on this list, this question was asked and answered.  I
have added a little to the speaker volume answer. This mailing
list is archived at http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/ Please
read it for it is a gold-mine! There is even a search engine, so
you don't have to read a 1000 messages to find an answer.

To send these commands to your modem, use a terminal program such
as minicom or Kermit and connect to the modem.

To set speaker to always off, issue the command

     atm0

I would place this command in the chatscript:

Bilbo:/etc/chatscripts# cat provider
ABORT        BUSY
ABORT        "NO CARRIER"
ABORT        VOICE
ABORT        "NO DIALTONE"
""	     ATm0		# silence modem
""           ATDTXXXXXXX	# xxxxxxx is your isp phone no.
ogin         albertw		# your isp login id
word         \qmye_passswordd	# your password for you isp
ption:       W		        # what you tell your isp..;

CAVEAT: I have NOT TESTED THIS, since I am not at a machine where
I can dial my ISP to confirm that this is correct. I have
confidene that this will work. However, you must test this.

I have appended a message describing how to get more of the
commands your modem provides.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
		 (Hope this qualifies.)

>From my (limited) archive:

> What command tells a modem to turn the sound off?

CAVEAT: These are for my USR modem, and may not be exactly right
for another Hayes compatible modem. See the commands listed below
to get the full list of commands for your modem if these don't
work as I advertise.

atm0  speaker always off
atm1  speaker on until CD is asserted
atm2  speaker always on
atm3  off during dialing, and on until carrier

atl0  speaker volume lowest
at1l  speaker volume low volume
atl2  speaker volume medium
atl3  speaker volume loud

> Where is there a list of the hayes/at modem commands?

Your modem has this info built into it.  Open up a terminal
program, such as minicom, that is configured to use your modem
device and enter the folloowing AT commands.

list all commands
	at$
list all & commands
	at&$