MPEG-3

I downloaded an mp3 file of an interview with Bob Young (RH CEO) on
friday from LinuxToday.com.  Now I needed a way to hear it!  So I
finally rebuilt my kernel (and moved up to 2.0.36) with support for my
sound card (and also added scsi emulation to support my new cd rom
burner).  The only mp3 software I could find on the slink cd was
freeamp, and it didn't like the downloaded file for some reason, so I
went to the debian ftp site and downloaded the source to x11amp from
potato and built it (tried to make a debian package but I don't have
pgp installed.  What mirror site has it?)  Oh well , just do it the old
way, 'make', 'make install', and oops 'chmod +s x11amp'.  Great this
works! (Bob's interview is worth the work to hear) X11amp is a playback
only though?  What software is available for recording mp3's?  Now I'd
like to compile my own cd's. (hmm, I can fit between 10-20 cd's worth
on one cdr in mp3, and give that cdr drive something to do....)
Any ideas?
===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze